[Scribus] Re : Scribus compiled with msvc.net 2002 : let's start debugging

Craig Ringer craig
Sun Jun 26 18:09:24 CEST 2005

On Sun, 2005-06-26 at 18:01 +0200, Jean Ghali wrote:

>  > I'm surprised you're doing that now, with Qt4 for Windows only months
>  > away, at most. I guess there are a lot of Qt3 apps out there that
> will > be a lot of work to port to Qt4 though - Scribus certainly being
> one of them.
>
> The reason is combined interest in Scribus and Qt. Moreover although Qt4
> will be available for Windows, only g++ will be supported first. But I
> have few doubt that someone will provide required patches for Borland
> C++ and Visual Studio support sooner or later...

That's a good point. I think it's unfortunate that they did things that
way myself, though I understand their reasoning.

Qt4 builds done with g++ will, for example, require a bundled copy of
Python, because the Python.org win32 Python builds are all done with
MSVC++ .

>  >> - win32 ScPainter use GDI functions ( qtwin-free bitBlt functions do
> not
>  >> function properly for now )
>  >
>  >That's very interesting. It works well?
>
> No problem detected so far...

I recently found myself pondering if we could do much the same thing
using CoreGraphics on Mac OS X, so I shouldn't have been surprised.
Glads to hear it works.

>  >> - make Scribus automatically locate ghostscript using registry
>  >> - make Scribus use ghostscript dll instead of gswin32c.exe
>
>  >I'm a bit leery of that one. By spawning ghostscript as a child
>  >process, we isolate ourselves from anything nasty that happens to it
>  >due to bad input, bad fonts, etc. GhostScript tends to be quite
> stable, >but even so that makes me a little nervous.
>
> Your opinion makes perfectly sense. Viewed like this, I completely agree
> with you. I had thought using the dll as a way simplifying installation
> for Windows users, by providing the GPL dll ( is it possible? ).

Yes, we could do that, but we'd still need to bundle all the gs lib dir,
fonts, etc for it to work. If we're going to do that, we can just as
easily bundle the gs executable too.

--
Craig Ringer