[Scribus] Compile from scr rpm failed

Craig Ringer craig
Sun Jun 26 08:27:23 CEST 2005

On Sat, 2005-06-25 at 21:42 +0400, Mikhail Ramendik wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using ASP Linux 9, closely based on Red Hat 9. I took the source RPM for
> Fedora and tried to compile that. But I have failed. The resulting message is
> attached below.

I assume you're building 1.2.1?

Anyway, the Python you have installed is too old. This *should* have
been detected by the configure script.

You are also likely to run into issues with Qt, libxml, and freetype
being too old or having some serious bugs. It is possible to run Scribus
on systems of that era - I used to run it on Red Hat 8 until around when
1.2.1 came out - but it's probably not worth the pain.

> Is there any way I can compile and run Scribus on my system? I can go from the
> source tarball if this can make things better.

You can do it, but it'll probably involve installing upgraded versions
of libxml, freetype, and Qt. You won't want to replace the system
versions because that can break things, so you'd probably need to build
them yourself. It's a bit of a waste of time, frankly, and a real pain.

--
Craig Ringer