[Scribus] Registration marks

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Sat Jun 25 16:29:32 CEST 2005

Hi Louis,

>>Many small shops I know use Quark/InDesign/Illustrator for
>>impositions. Thus, in the long run, the ability to do (at least)
>>impositions will become a necessary feature of scribus.
>
> AFAIK none of these products have imposition capabilities as such.
> Quark doesn't, for sure, unless you get specific XTensions
> [plug-ins].

In fact, all of these products do have some basic imposition tools. Even
Quark has them (at least XPress 6.5). But they only provide basic tools
such as sorting pages, no full scale imposition tool set. I think what
would be useful is a set of these basic imposition tools such as sorting
pages. It can be done on the command line now, but that's not what most
people like to do.

> A prepress house or dept. that has to fulfill
> the needs of offset presses on a daily basis will never be able to
> get away without a fully dedicated imposition application... or at
> the cost of time-consuming operations with tools that are not made
> for that. :)

Agreed. When I was talking about printers who like to blame others for
failures, I was thinking of small printing shops. A failed print will
hit them harder than a large publisher. But the solution is to establish
a chain of trust instead of a chain of blame, and we're back to workflow
  :-)

As for the rest of what you wrote, I naturally agree. The layout people
don't and can't control the whole process. Reliable PDFs, as produced by
scribus, are a good foundation of a seamless printing operation.

Cheers,

Christoph