[Scribus] Ideas on collaboration

Suki Venkat, [TnQ] skvenkat
Fri Jun 24 07:17:14 CEST 2005

Hi,

XML comes in to the typesetting system as XML and then by using the
story-writer+python-script you decide how to write the style-sheet (CSS)
within Scribus and out comes the output (say PDF).
If you want to send it to another person, then you send the XML+CSS.
By CSS, I really don't mean the CSS, it can be anything, even say a
Scribus template...The images and the frames go as links in the XML that
point to external files in a separate link folder.

I hope you don't think, another one of those things that's in
InDesign...Scribus need not be like that..(infact this is something that
is already in the W3C browser Amaya for example and to some extent in
many of the word-processors).

LaTeX3 (LaTeX++) which has now merged with Omega was supposed move in
that direction, but it never did with any momentum.
The XML solution makes re-purposing easier. Another big plus for this
kind of solution is that it means that the correction you make into
Scribus also gets into the XML simultaneously.

The avoid XML  over-load on the Scribus architecture, it is possible to
use the *.sla format in a clever-way to embed the XML within the "sla"
in a clever-way (say in a different namespace).

Suki