[Scribus] too much errors, no practial use for us - byebye scribus

Ekkard Gerlach ekkardgerlach
Fri Jun 10 23:24:12 CEST 2005

I and my secretary spend about 20hours in scribus. There are too
many errors that we say good bye (maybe we come back in a year).
We try working with OpenOffice Draw, else we buy a Windows program
like pagemaker and use it with VMWare.

The following fault appear in scribus 1.2.1 and 1.2.2cvs on Suse 8.2
kernel 2.4.26 and Suse 9.2 (2.6.x):

  * blue ist printed as purple on Minolta Magicolor 2350. OpenOffice
    is printing all right.
  * drawings (symbols) with transparency are not printed to
    Minolta Magicolor 2350. OpenOffice is printing transparency
    pefectly.
  * We can't print ANY Object to EpsonC64 driven by turboprint,
    gs is working for some minutes with 90% CPU time and is
    dead suddenly. We even
    can't print a 100x100 pixel image in a empty A4 sheet!

It's not the fault of the Minolta ppd-file. OO is working perfectly
with minolta.
We have already printed big images 1000x1000 pixel to epsonC64
with turboprint. All worked perfectly, best colors and gs didn't
work longer than 2 seconds.

  * changing the papersize in scribus to other size bigger than A4,
    f.e. 1cm bigger, some pic's without transpareny are printed
    about 5cm above the real place. Pics with transparency
    aren't printed at all.

I think the postscript file generated with scribus is buggy.
The printouts to Kyocera600 Laserprinter (PLC) black/white seems to
work. But we need colored flyers ...!

Sorry, folks, I belive you work hard with scribus. But these
enormous errors lead me to give up scribus.

bye
Ekkard