[Scribus] any appl. prints that small png, but not scribus

Craig Ringer craig
Thu Jun 9 03:17:48 CEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 23:37 +0200, Ekkard Gerlach wrote:
> * Craig Bradney schrieb:
>
> > Except that postscript doesnt support transparency. Try exporting to PDF and
> > print from Adobe Reader.
>
> Postscript? Sure not!

To print images that look transparent, PostScript doesn't actually need
to support transparency. It just means that it's the responsibility of
the application generating the PostScript to "flatten" the transparent
sections into combined non-transparent data that PostScript /can/
understand.

The only way I know of to print transparency directly is to use a
printer with a RIP that natively understands PDF 1.4 . That's not
common.

The issue is that Scribus is, AFAIK, currently not all that good at
flattening transparency when generating PostScript. Printing from Adobe
Acrobat is a workaround for this, as Acrobat will do an excellent job of
the required flattening during PostScript generation.

--
Craig Ringer