[Scribus] ghostscript-esp vs. ghostscript-afpl vs. ghostscript-gnu

Craig Bradney cbradney
Tue Jun 7 21:46:15 CEST 2005

On Tuesday 07 June 2005 21:30, Gregory Pittman wrote:
> Craig Bradney wrote:
> >On Tuesday 07 June 2005 20:01, Sebastian Roeder wrote:
> >>My questions are which ghostscript-* version is best for Scribus (and
> >>what the hell is the difference between the gnu one and the others) and
> >>maybe what I can do to get my printer to work + best Scribus results. As
> >>a sidenote, the printer is PCL aware (Brother HL5140 laserprinter).
> >>

> >>I have only just seen ghostscript-gnu today and I would suggest you give
> >> it a try and see if it includes the capability you need. I do read
> >> however in my submitted bugs in Gentoo's tracker that AFPL 8.51+ will be
> >> coming to Gentoo pretty soon.
> >>
> >>Craig
>
> As I am beginning to understand these various posts about ghostscript,
> it would seem that recommendations depend on what it is you want to do
> with an "advanced" ghostscript.  Versions 8+ will give you improved
> display, but will only improve printing if you have the driver(s).  For
> converting to PDF and printing from that output, it  would seem (as I
> understand the various comments) not to make any difference.
> So, for me personally, using Fedora Core 3, I don't see the imperative
> to upgrade beyond 7.07 -- I am not going to see the benefit.
>
> So it would seem that maybe there should be either a caveat or a frank
> warning about upgrading ghostscript.(?)  For most, it may make most
> sense to ride the upgrades with your distro.

You will see the benefit on importing and print previews, and for some
included files like PDFs.

This is why we recommend you use the very latest possible (assuming you accept
whatever license it has) and has the support for your printer.

It makes sense to check your distro's back tracker and put in bugs to request
the upgraded versions.

Craig