[Scribus] ghostscript-esp vs. ghostscript-afpl vs. ghostscript-gnu

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Tue Jun 7 21:30:14 CEST 2005

Craig Bradney wrote:

>On Tuesday 07 June 2005 20:01, Sebastian Roeder wrote:
>

>>My questions are which ghostscript-* version is best for Scribus (and
>>what the hell is the difference between the gnu one and the others) and
>>maybe what I can do to get my printer to work + best Scribus results. As
>>a sidenote, the printer is PCL aware (Brother HL5140 laserprinter).
>>

>>I have only just seen ghostscript-gnu today and I would suggest you give it a try and see if it includes the capability you need. I do read however in my
>>submitted bugs in Gentoo's tracker that AFPL 8.51+ will be coming to Gentoo
>>pretty soon.
>>
>>Craig

As I am beginning to understand these various posts about ghostscript,
it would seem that recommendations depend on what it is you want to do
with an "advanced" ghostscript.  Versions 8+ will give you improved
display, but will only improve printing if you have the driver(s).  For
converting to PDF and printing from that output, it  would seem (as I
understand the various comments) not to make any difference.
So, for me personally, using Fedora Core 3, I don't see the imperative
to upgrade beyond 7.07 -- I am not going to see the benefit.

So it would seem that maybe there should be either a caveat or a frank
warning about upgrading ghostscript.(?)  For most, it may make most
sense to ride the upgrades with your distro.

Greg