[Scribus] Appropriate platform for compiling scribus

PLinnell mrdocs
Tue Jun 7 12:50:36 CEST 2005

On Tuesday 07 June 2005 03:15, Christoph Sch?fer wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> after having experienced Mandrake (9.2., 10, 10.1) as a wash-out
> when it came to compiling from source since more than a year, I am
> looking out for a distro that has everything aboard without giving
> me too many headaches with respect to dependencies. I consider
> buying SuSE 9.3. Has anybody experience with that distro?
>
> I want to/have to:
>
> - build ghostscript 8.5x

Very easy and 9.3 has the new ESP GS 8.15 with CUPS integrated.

> - build scribus 1.2.2cvs and 1.3cvs

easily

> - build lprof
easily

> - build inkscape 0.41
packaged and CVS Inkscape is easily built too

> - build GIMP 2.2.6

2.2.7 is available via apt4rpm or ftp download

> Can all this be achieved with SuSE 9.3 without downloading too much
> stuff? It's a serious problem, because after a major hardware
> upgrade, I had to remove my ISDN-card. To access the internet, I
> have to boot W2k as the only device left is the one provided by the
> phone company. It's Windoze and OS/X only, hardly any chance of
> ever getting drivers for Linux, so you can imagine the pain of
> resolving Linux dependencies ...

Suse ships with dozens of ISDN and DSL modem drivers which are very
easy to configure via Yast. Maybe it includes yours.

> Any reports would be welcome.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Christoph

Apt4rpm works very well on Suse 9.x and there are a handful of 3rd
party packagers who add some of the missing things from Suse. e.g.
*loads* of multi-media stuff, addtional kde and gnome apps etc.

I've not felt I lack for available packages.

The thing I find with Suse is the Qt packaging is first rate, clearly
named and for Scribus this is very important.

Just my 0.02,
Peter