[Scribus] Appropriate platform for compiling scribus

Claudius Wettstein claudius.wettstein
Tue Jun 7 12:24:50 CEST 2005

Am Dienstag, 7. Juni 2005 03:15 schrieb Christoph Sch?fer:
> after having experienced Mandrake (9.2., 10, 10.1) as a wash-out
> when it came to compiling from source since more than a year, I am
> looking out for a distro that has everything aboard without giving
> me too many headaches with respect to dependencies. I consider
> buying SuSE 9.3. Has anybody experience with that distro?

Hallo Christoph,

I have been using SuSE since 7.2 (and now SuSE 9.2) and never had too
much problems with compiling - since I had learned that with package
distros you need to install additionally the devel-package of a
package if "configure" complaints, that "prog x" is missing.
Sometimes you need to compile also a library that is not up to date
in the distro, but not very often - and without headaches.

> I want to/have to:
>
> - build ghostscript 8.5x
went fine, with parallel install, see wiki.

> - build scribus 1.2.2cvs and 1.3cvs
no problem

> - build lprof
no experience

> - build inkscape 0.41
compiled, but the 0.41 static rpm works as well.

> - build GIMP 2.2.6
haven't tried yet, because of no need.

Cheers,
Claudius