[Scribus] Appropriate platform for compiling scribus

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Tue Jun 7 03:15:28 CEST 2005

Hi all,

after having experienced Mandrake (9.2., 10, 10.1) as a wash-out when it
came to compiling from source since more than a year, I am looking out
for a distro that has everything aboard without giving me too many
headaches with respect to dependencies. I consider buying SuSE 9.3. Has
anybody experience with that distro?

I want to/have to:

- build ghostscript 8.5x

- build scribus 1.2.2cvs and 1.3cvs

- build lprof

- build inkscape 0.41

- build GIMP 2.2.6

Can all this be achieved with SuSE 9.3 without downloading too much
stuff? It's a serious problem, because after a major hardware upgrade, I
had to remove my ISDN-card. To access the internet, I have to boot W2k
as the only device left is the one provided by the phone company. It's
Windoze and OS/X only, hardly any chance of ever getting drivers for
Linux, so you can imagine the pain of resolving Linux dependencies ...

Any reports would be welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Christoph