[Scribus] Translators needed: DTP/Printing glossary on the Wiki

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Sat Jul 30 04:50:34 CEST 2005

Hi Greg,

>> Hi all,
>>
>> Johannes has set up a Wiki page for a glossary on scribus/DTP/printing
>> terminology. There's already a lot of stuff online, but so far we only
>> have translations in Polish, German and a few in Dutch. We also need
>> even more terms to be added from experienced users/professionals.
>
> This sounds like a good idea.  I wonder if there would be a way, best
> considered now that this glossary is in its infancy, to have at least
> some selected lists alphabetized according to different languages.  As
> it is, it is useful for translating from English to other languages, but
> what if you run across a term in German, how would this list help?

Your objection, if it can be called an "objection" at all, makes sense,
at least in the long term. But please keep in mind that most of us need
English as a "bridge" to find our way to get the right translation and
share it with others. If a a Croation scribus user is missing a term in
the glossary, he will (hopefully) add the English word with a Croatian
translation. Others will join in and translate the word. And for the
scenario you mentioned, the search feature of your browser will do the
job for now.

> I could use postgresql, for example, to be able to sort by whatever
> language I wanted, but I don't know if an sql-like interface exists for
> a wiki.
> If anyone is interested, I could create a psql table which could be
> uploaded to the wiki site. Aside from being able to import a database
> table, postgresql can export files as html tables.

Sooner or later, (database) tables will be inevitable. Maybe you could
do some research on the opportunities of the Wikipedia software (there's
a lot of information available).

Cheers,

Christoph