[Scribus] Re: Aqua versions crash on start #still #2

Martin b21280
Sat Jul 23 18:37:44 CEST 2005

Hello Andreas,

>>  >(gdb) where
>>>#0  0x054d5518 in tt_cmap12_char_index (cmap=0x0, char_code=40850)
>>>at /Developer/freetype-2.1.9/src/sfnt/ttcmap0.c:1772
>
>This means you interrupted Scribus

... or, as I have been able to observe by
watching it start in the Force Quit dialog, it
actually 'stopped responding' after a while; then
I killed it...

>while it was analyzing a a *.TTC font.
>Do you have any of those installed?

Nope. Well: Not knowingly. Acc to Apple Font
Book, I have datafork TrueTypes and regular
TrueTypes in the system-wide font directories,
and no fonts in user directory nor Classic (I
haven't choosen a Classic folder for the test
account). See list below. I believe I have made
sure that the system-wide font directories
contain nothing but Apple-installed fonts.
Also used Finder's Find to search the system for
(visible and hidden) items with names containing
"TTC" => nothing found.

>Ok, let's see what's happening. try "
>/Library/Frameworks/Fontconfig2.framework/Versions/Current/bin/fc-list"
>This should list all your configured fonts.

#PCMyungjo:style=Regular
Hiragino Mincho Pro W3:style=Regular
Hiragino Mincho Pro W6:style=Regular
Hiragino Maru Gothic Pro W4:style=Regular
Herculanum:style=Regular
GB18030 Bitmap:style=Regular
Chalkboard:style=Regular
LiHei Pro:style=Medium
AppleGothic:style=Regular
Osaka:style=Regular-Mono
BiauKai:style=Regular
AppleMyungjo:style=Regular
LiSong Pro:style=Light
Courier:style=Regular
Big Caslon:style=Medium
STFangsong:style=Regular
Hoefler Text:style=Regular
Marker Felt:style=Thin
#HeadLineA:style=Regular
Baskerville:style=Regular
STKaiti:style=Regular
Zapf Dingbats:style=Regular
Cochin:style=Regular
Futura:style=Medium
American Typewriter:style=Regular
STSong:style=Regular
Fang Song:style=Regular
Kai:style=Regular
Lucida Grande:style=Regular
Hei:style=Regular
Apple Symbols:style=Regular
Apple LiGothic:style=Medium
Times:style=Regular
#GungSeo:style=Regular
Hiragino Kaku Gothic Pro W3:style=Regular
Hiragino Kaku Gothic Pro W6:style=Regular
.Aqua ????:style=?{?[???h
Helvetica Neue:style=Regular
Helvetica:style=Regular
Papyrus:style=Regular
Hiragino Kaku Gothic Std W8:style=Regular
Optima:style=Regular
.Aqua ????:style=???M?????[
Apple LiSung:style=Light
Copperplate:style=Regular
Didot:style=Regular
STHeiti:style=Light
Song:style=Regular
Gill Sans:style=Regular
#PilGi:style=Regular
STHeiti:style=Regular
Symbol:style=Regular
Skia:style=Regular
Monaco:style=Regular
Apple Chancery:style=Chancery
Geneva:style=Regular
Zapfino:style=Regular
Osaka:style=Regular

(Note: 2 of the above fonts are listed somewhat
weird because their names have been output to
Terminal in Japanese encoding which does not
transfer into my emailer)

*** I really wonder which of these fonts would be
of type TTC, or how I'd find out...??? As said
above, Font Book did not reveal such a detail...
unless 'TTC' = "datafork TrueType' ??

>My current working theory is that your fontconfig settings are broken.

Since I seem to have this problem on a number of
systems, I figure 'your' is referring here to my
copy of Scribus' FontConfig.Framework.
I gave this a try, and downed and installed the
Fontconfig. framework that's listed separately on
the Aqua Scribus page.
Right on: Scribus started perfectly. Next, I
removed this working framework copy to the
Desktop and moved the previously installed copy
(that I've downloaded as a part of the full
framework package) back into the Framework
directory. Big surprise: Scribus starts perfectly.

Tomorrow, I'll continue and try to get Scribus
running on the Tiger system plus on the iMac as
well; maybe this gives me some clue as to why
this problem happened...

TNX! -Martin