[Scribus] Re: Aqua versions crash on start #still

Martin b21280
Wed Jul 20 15:56:44 CEST 2005

Andreas, Kevin -- thank you for your suggestions and help offers!

First, I feel quite relieved that I should not have to compile the
apps before running ;-)
Also, I am glad to hear I do have current versions. TNX!

>Your problem is either some incompatibility
>(I'm on 10.3.7) or you have too many or problematic fonts on your
>system.
>The best way I can help you is if you send me the crash report and
>maybe the output on the console (/Applications/Utilities/Console.app).

I had already thought about sending the crash log (just wasn't sure
wether I could send it to the list). But this crash behavior makes it
easier than it had thought: there is no crash report displayed nor
safed to disk.

At least, there are some Scribus-related entries in console.log:
scpaths: bundle at /Users/test/Applications/Scribus.app:
scpaths: doc
dir=/Users/test/Applications/Scribus.app/Contents/share/scribus/doc/
scpaths: icon
dir=/Users/test/Applications/Scribus.app/Contents/share/scribus/icons/
scpaths: sample
dir=/Users/test/Applications/Scribus.app/Contents/share/scribus/samples/
scpaths: script
dir=/Users/test/Applications/Scribus.app/Contents/share/scribus/scripts/
scpaths: template
dir=/Users/test/Applications/Scribus.app/Contents/share/scribus/templates/
scpaths: lib dir=/Users/test/Applications/Scribus.app/Contents/lib/scribus/
scpaths: plugin
dir=/Users/test/Applications/Scribus.app/Contents/lib/scribus/plugins/
scpaths: qtplugins=/Users/test/Applications/Scribus.app/Contents/lib/qtplugins/

I could also forward some 'analyzing' data on Scribus from Activity
Monitor, if this could give some clue.

Next, fonts: In my Classic folder I have 45 font files in the font
folder, incl 11 Apple font files. But Classic is not configured in my
test user account, so I'd imagine that Scribus should not have a
problem with those.
Similarily, the fonts folder of my test user account is completely
empty. I have 60 font files in OS_X:System:Library:Fonts and in
OS_X:Library:Fonts, all installed by Apple.
To be sure, I checked all font folders with FontDoctor, it complained
a bit about some bitmaps in the Classic folder being orphaned/Type1
parent missing and resolved that. But Scribus still crashes.

Next, I tried with 10.4.2 that I have clean-installed on a separate
Firewire disk, and which is still in a fairly maiden state (for
example, only the standard Apple fonts are installed so far), and
finally I tried on an iMac that runs 10.38. And it's always the same:
- a few seconds into searching for fonts, the spinning beach ball may
appear or not
- the Scribus splash screen is always stuck in front of everything else
- there's never a crash report coming up, but on evoking "Force
quit", the dialog hints that Scribus does not respond
- the only logging that takes place of all that is the above copied
scpaths message in the console.log.

Well, what a pity. I'd really be curious to see the app open and show
me what it has to offer... Anyway, TNX for making it down here.
-Martin