[Scribus] Entwicklungsfinanzierung

Ranjan Ghosh ghosh
Fri Jul 15 09:55:35 CEST 2005

Hi again!

Sorry for writing in German first. Stupidly, I didnt realize it's an
international list ;-) Thanks Christoph for translating.
After some further internal discussions and rethinking I've
now come to the conclusion that the most important point
for us is command-line sla-to-pdf conversion.
It does not matter if this takes up to a minute because of
starting up the application everytime. I would prefer this
to a running Scribus and RPC's everytime because such
solutions have proven to be quite instable in continuous
server use. I'm thinking of sth. like ImageMagick's convert
along the lines of

scribus --convert input.sla output.pdf params.xml

where params are the pdf-output settings you usually
do in the export-to-pdf dialog.
Spot colour sport is quite important but we could possibly do
a while without it. The proposed workaround in the wiki
for circumventing the current spot colour restrictions
in Scribus are not really a solution for our problems, though.
Creating emulated seperations is far to complex for our
needs.

So, finally I'd like to reinforce our commitment to make the
command-line conversion (virtual framebuf is acceptable) possible by
financially supporting this.
I realize many Open Source developers are having day-time jobs
and are doing this during their leisure time. So the time you
all have for developing Scribus is limited. Neither do we want nor expect
to pay/support a full-time developer but want to shift priorities a bit
by giving out a financial bounty. Finding out how much financial support
really is required here to make this happen in a realistic time-frame is the
first task at hand, so I would really like to hear from you after the dust
around the current milestone release has settled a bit ;-)

Thanks & Bye

Ranjan Ghosh

Am Donnerstag, 14. Juli 2005 19:23 schrieben Sie:

--
FUP AG
Ranjan Ghosh
E-Mail: ghosh at fup.de