[Scribus] Scribus Team Releases 1.3.0 - La Liberté

Craig Ringer craig
Fri Jul 15 09:07:38 CEST 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 18:14 -1000, wayne wrote:
> On Thursday 14 July 2005 02:45 pm, Craig Bradney wrote:
>
> > The Scribus Team is pleased to announce a technology preview of the next
> > generation of Scribus - Open Source Desktop Publishing.
> >
> > The aim for this release is to bring improvements and enhancements for
> > both professionals and beginning users alike. 1.3.0 improves Scribus'
> > abilities in areas like performance, accessibility and workflow. With
> > this release, we also commence support for Scribus running natively on
> > Windows and Mac OS X.
> >
> > While it is very stable and usable, there are a number of under the hood
> > changes which will continue through the 1.3.x series
>
> Is this release meant for serious work? Can  I stop using 1.2.2.1?

1.3.0 is the first milestone in the development series. There are some
significant bugs open for it, and a lot of things are still in flux.

On the flip side, it has some big improvements over 1.2.2.1 . Some even
bigger ones, including crucial things like char styles, are still to
come.

You /can/ use it for production work - as any release. Craig Bradney did
some professional printing with late 1.3.0cvs recently, for example.
There is a higher chance of gotcha's in 1.3.0 however, and it will
become obsolete much faster than a stable milestone as development
continues rapidly. It depends on how badly you need the facilities in
1.3.0 and how much you like to "live on the edge."

--
Craig Ringer