[Scribus] Quark user's questions

John Kershaw john
Wed Jan 26 22:14:54 CET 2005

Hi,

I've just sat down to try and make a document up in Scribus for the
first time. It's a photo display of staff members at school, just
dropping photos into sized frames. Unfortunately, I seem to be
encountering a few of the things that made Christoff's eyes roll the
other day.

Observations/questions:

a) Where is 'Get Picture' in the menus? I eventually found it in the
cmd-click contextual menu, but where it's equivalent in the menus?

b) Once the picture is in, I can't nudge it around with the cursor
keys, only with the mouse, which is not fine enough control over
placement

c) Clicking out of a picture box moves the image! After inserting an
image and moving it around, the photo always jumps into the top-left
corner of the frame! Thereafter it works as expected.

d) How do I turn off the gridlines? I set 'Guides in front' but then
I had a criss-cross green mesh all over my screen. The only way to
'hide' it seems to be to set the spacing to the width of the page!
Seems that the 'View' menu should contain 'Show/hide guides/grid'
(since they're related to viewing) whilst 'Snap to guides/grid'
should be in the Settings menu. Odd.

e) Copy/paste image from one frame to another doesn't work.

f) X-scale/y-scale is unlocked by default - dispro fitting is very
rarely desired. Having the two locked together by default would make
more sense.

g) Undo doesn't work! This takes the biscuit! I moved an image inside
the frame (by accident - I meant to move the frame itself). I hit
ctrl-Z and nothing happened! Edit > Undo object move and still
nothing happened.

At this point I'm afraid I quit Scribus and fired up InDesign. Sorry :(

Scribus 1.2 build-id 28 - latest Fink has to offer.

John.