[Scribus] Applescript to python tutorial?

Craig Ringer craig
Wed Jan 26 12:20:44 CET 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 08:51 +0000, John Kershaw wrote:
> Has anyone written a primer for people wishing to recreate their
> Quark Applescript systems using Scribus & Python?

Not that I'm aware of, not that that means much.

> We have a dozen or so Applescripts that perform a range of tasks for
> us in Quark 3 running under Classic. I'd dearly like to dump it (and
> Classic) for Scribus, but need to get my head around scripting.

Ooh! Is there any chance you can post descriptions of what they do (on-
list, or private if you prefer)? What's really needed now is more real-
world use cases, exactly like what you describe.

By the way, there are a lot of holes in the scripter's coverage of
Scribus's capabilities. Each function in the scripter must currently be
hand-coded. There are plans afoot to address this, but any results would
land in 1.3.something at best.

In the mean time, things must be hand-coded. Some are trivial some are
*very* non-trivial. If you find something missing, yell... Petr or I
might be able to put something together.

> A comparative, line-by-line run through of a something like 'make
> doc, make pic box, import pic, make text box, import text, add
> styles, save, close' done in AppleScript & Python would be ideal.

You send me the AppleScript, and I'll send you a Python version if I
can. What little AppleScript I used to know, I've successfully purged
from my memory ;-)

--
Craig Ringer