[Scribus] Image export dpi problem

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Wed Jan 26 02:27:29 CET 2005

scirbus at tovel.it wrote:

>Hi to all,
>I'm new to the list.
>I post here for more clarifications before (eventually) fill a bug
>report.
>
>I try to use scribus for a photo poster composition.
>
>The printer supports only bitmap files.
>The printer supports a resolution of 250 dpi.
>The poster is 820x500 mm =~ 32.2x19.6 in
>So the image export for the poster is around 8000x5000.
>
>On Debian Gnu/Linux with
>scribus 1.2.0.rc1
>export jpeg
>quality 100%
>resolution 250 dpi
>the output is (from identify)
>xxx.jpeg JPEG 4921x3000 DirectClass 7.2mb 0.000u 0:01
>
>On Debian Gnu/Linux with
>scribus 1.2.1
>export jpeg
>quality 100%
>resolution dpi 250
>size 100%
>the output is (from identify)
>xxx.jpeg[1] JPEG 1417x863 DirectClass 912kb 0.000u 0:01
>
>On Debian Gnu/Linux with
>scribus 1.2.1
>export jpeg
>quality 100%
>resolution dpi 250
>size 600%
>the output is (from identify)
>xxx.jpeg JPEG 8504x5185 DirectClass 17.5mb 0.000u 0:01
>
>Can someone explain this behaviour?
>
>Unfortunately in all cases the quality of the image is far from optimal
>both for images and text...
>The text written with 12 pt font is quite unreadable...
>If I open the image in Gimp and rewrite the same text the result is
>perfect for the text.
>
>I try to export a ppm and png with the same result.
>
>I try to export in pdf and use convert pdf -> jpg with poor result.
>Export pdf, print as ps with acroread, convert ... poor result.

You will likely get better responses from others, but I think that
you're use of Scribus to then have output as a jpeg is not the way to go.
Is there some reason you're not exporting to PDF? -- the whole point of
making PDFs is to scale to whatever size you want.

About the only kind of image that would theoretically work (and Scribus
can't do) is an SVG.

Greg