[Scribus] RPMs for Mandrake 10.1

tjakabfy tjakabfy
Sun Jan 16 22:13:59 CET 2005

Owen Cook wrote:

>On Sun, 16 Jan 2005, Christoph Sch?fer wrote:
>

>>my question to the Mandrake package builders:
>>
>>is there a scribus 1.2.1-RPM for Mdk 10.1 available without the problems
>>already described by Louis (missing *.sxw import)?
>>
>>Compiling is no option for me, because even after updating from Mdk 9.2
>>the old problems remained (checking for Qt... configure: error: Qt (>=
>>Qt 3.3) (library qt-mt) not
>>found. Please check your installation!) and none of the workarounds
>>mentioned here helped.
>>

>See my message of 7 Dec 2004, it suggests building a separate Qt
>
>Here are the instructions from that message
>
>I have just built qt-3.3.3 on Mdk 10 yet again.
>
>1. Download qt-x11-free-3.3.3.tar.bz2 from
>ftp://ftp.trolltech.com/qt/source/
>
>2. unarchive it and cd into the qt-x11-free-3.3.3 directory
>
>3. we are now going to build it in /opt so change to su and execute
>

>bash
>export QTDIR=$PWD &&
>export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$PWD/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH &&
>export PATH=$PWD/bin:$PATH &&
>./configure -prefix /opt/qt-3.3.3 -qt-gif -system-libpng \
>   -system-libmng -system-zlib -system-libjpeg -no-exceptions \
>   -thread -plugin-imgfmt-png &&
>make &&
>make install &&
>ln -sfn qt-3.3.3 /opt/qt &&
>ln -s libqt-mt.so /opt/qt/lib/libqt.so &&
>cp -r doc/man /opt/qt/doc &&
>cp -r examples /opt/qt/doc
>exit
>
>(all that is from the BLFS book, but note you will need all those
>libraries in the configure line above)
>
>Assuming all goes well you will end up with qt in /opt
>
>4. Now try building scribusCVS with this
>
>./configure --prefix=/install/directory/ --with-qt-dir=/opt/qt
>

>That leaves your old QT intact for all the other programs that might use
>it. It doesn't stuff anything and lets you keep up with the latest CVS
>
>All you have to lose is a lot of cpu time building qt
>

>I attempted to install Mdk10.1 but it "locked" up, probably on the video
>card so I had to rebuild Mdk10 plus all the upgrades. When trying to
>install Scribus, same error message as you so had to rebuild Qt as above.
>

>Owen

OK:
Nice to read all of this in one place. Doing this from the ReadMe file
is what usually happens. So it's nice to see this.
However, I will give you an idea of the TIME involved with this on a
PIII 700 MHz machine.
3 hours for the make
3 hours for install
and then I got error messages about 3rd party software.
On Mandrake 9.2 this happened.

So I gave up trying to assemble Scribus moved over to SuSE 9.2 and was
able to compile Qt (similar time but no errors) and then installed the
SuSE 9.1 rpm.

The TIME to put Qt into your system is considerable... but when you read
the text, it sounds like an hours work.

Tom