[Scribus] suse 9.2 upgrade

Robert Kaiser KaiRo
Sun Jan 16 00:25:53 CET 2005

bart at solozone.com schrieb:
> Sorry to return to this theme. I just got the 9.2 UPGRADE and it tells me I must agree to Novell /SuSe upgrade maintenance protection terms available on line: www.suse.de/maintenance
> which gives you a 14 digit number and assume I only guess what I read thru the legalese that you follow their point by point upgrades. I paid $49.99 (US) instead of ($79.99). But I do have all the prior stuff 8.2, 9.0, 9.1. So... did I shoot myself in the foot to save $25? Has Novell gone proprietary with this type of restriction which everyone on this list tells me is has NOT (even YAST being open source now)?

I think you only need to explicitely agree to that if you're using their
support services in any way.
I've never used UPGRADE products of them though, I always used STUDENT
versions, which are the same as PROFESSIONAL in every way (but the
price). I've never heard of such a thing anywhere though, so I don't
think there's much of a problem there.
They surely don't have gone proprietary in any way, at least not more
than Fedora/RedHat, Mandrake or other such distros...

Robert Kaiser