[Scribus] suse 9.2

linthi linthi
Thu Jan 13 21:26:23 CET 2005

On Jan 13, 2005, at 15:48, <bart at solozone.com> wrote:
> I use both SuSE 9.0 and 9.1 and I am ready to upgrade to 9.2. But I
> hear it has partially proprietary kernel? Moreover, they do not put
> all their programs on CDs but only on a two sided(?) DVD and my 9.2
> does not have a DVD reader; the other one does or very soon will
> (tomorrow).
> Do you folks think I would be better off with Fedora? if so which?
> Will I be missing programs, of which SuSE gives one a big number?
> Bart Alberti

Hi,
I am using SuSe 9.2 and, even if it is not OS X  ^_^  it works well.
KDE 3.3 is stable. All my Windows partitions were automatically
mounted. Setting up a dual-boot is easy... You just have to install a
few packages to support DVD playing and some video cards.

DVD support: http://cambuca.ldhs.cetuc.puc-rio.br/xine/

MPlayer & codecs:
	1 ? lame?: http://packman.links2linux.org/?action=128
	2 ? Win32?: http://packman.links2linux.org/?action=046
	3 ? Mplayer?: http://packman.links2linux.org/?action=128
	4 ? plugin Mozilla?: http://packman.links2linux.org/?action=319

I have also compiled Firefox 1.0, Firestarter, Ghostscript 8.50, Gimp
2.2.1 and Scribus 1.2.1 ? to name a few ? without a single problem.

IMHO SuSE 9.2 is the best (i.e. easy and stable) Linux distribution and
a very good desktop solution (even if one needs to switch to Windows
for gaming or using more programs). #1 OS X, #2 SuSE, #3 Windows :-)

Regards,

T.L.