[Scribus] Scribus CMYK

David Purton dcpurton
Wed Jan 12 13:59:00 CET 2005

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 01:24:50PM -0500, Kobus Wolvaardt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I really like 1.2.1 and look forward to 1.3 tree. Thanks for a great
> product.
>
> I have one problem. If scribus imports a cmyk file, it changes it to rgb.
> If that file exports as cmyk again it looks different from the original.
>
> Is it possible to add the ability to export the original cmyk colors. A
> qpaint. Is it maybe possible to go through all the steps up to where the
> rgb gets converted back to cmyk and add the original cmyk values from the
> file? (maybe add a tickbox in the pdf exporter?)
>
> This is really important for our workflow (certain companies wont pay for
> an ad unless the color is perfect), any advice on fixing this would be
> appreciated!

Actually, It just occured to me that there is a work around.

You can convert your CMYK images to EPS and then load them into Scribus
as placeable EPS files (ie - within a graphics frame).

Note that this may not be a trivial process under linux :(, ImageMagick
fails.

You could try:

        tiff2ps -3 -z -e -O ouput.eps input.tif

The colours will be wrong on screen - since the preview is created by
GhostScript, but this is but a minor problem - and you could always make
your own preview using tifficc and add it to the eps.

You must then print your file to PostScript and the EPS files will go
though unchanged. You can't use the PDF features of Scribus though. If
you export to PDF, the colours will break.

You can then use GhostScript to make your PDF. If you use a version of
gs >= 8.14, it will correctly leave colours unchanged. If you are using
an older version, make sure you specify -dProcessColorModel=/DeviceCMYK
when you call ps2pdf. Although I might be remembering wrong - I have a
feeling the Ghostscript left images unchganged in ealier versions too -
can't remember - If in doubt use 8.50.

Not perhaps an ideal solution, but it will work.

cheers

dc

--
David Purton
dcpurton at chariot.net.au

For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to
strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.
                                 2 Chronicles 16:9a