[Scribus] Scribus 1.2.1 crashes : Solved (?)

Martin Costabel costabel
Tue Jan 11 11:06:38 CET 2005

Martin Costabel wrote:
[]
> Sorry for the inconvenience; stay tuned (or better, tell me why it
> crashes :-) ).

I have just checked in the Fink package scribus-1.2.1-2 which hopefully
doesn't crash any more (at least not at the same point :-) ). Actually
the scribus package is not changed, except that it requires an updated
freetype2 package.

So the real update to do is a rebuild of freetype2-[hinting]-shlibs to
version 2.1.3-22 (which is automatic if you update scribus).

Explanation for the experts (as far as I understand this at all):

The problem was not with specific versions of freetype, but with the way
they were compiled, actually with the version of libtool used by
freetype. It concerns a more esoteric feature of darwin, namely the way
how it lets you have different versions of a dynamic library coexist.
For this to work, the libraries have to be built as "twolevel_namespace
images" which is the default for freetype2-2.1.9, but not for earlier
versions.

In fact, the peculiar feature of scribus that leads to this problem is
that it does not work with freetype-2.1.0 which is installed by Apple's
X11. Therefore one has to have a more recent version of freetype to link
scribus against, in our case 2.1.3. But scribus links against other
libraries that in turn pull in the libfreetype from X11, so one ends up
with two different copies of libfreetype loaded into memory. Now if both
libraries are compiled as twolevel_namespace images, this can work out,
but if one of them is a flat_namespace image, as was the case for
freetype2-2.1.3-21, then it may happen that during program execution, a
function from one version of libfreetype suddenly continues in the other
version of libfreetype and this gives the crash. This happened always
when the first Type1 font was loaded, so it didn't happen if the
document didn't use Type1 fonts.

Ralf, please let us know if this solves the problem for you.

--
Martin

--
Martin