[Scribus] CMYK -> RGB strikes again

David Purton dcpurton
Wed Feb 23 10:49:46 CET 2005

On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 09:53:41AM +0100, Tino Schwarze wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 09:21:23AM +1030, David Purton wrote:
>
> > > Actually, "make install" installed to /usr/local/scribus_cvs but I
> > > forgot that.
> > >
> > > Now I was able to produce a nicely looking CMYK PDF. Only my printer
> > > cannot print it nicely anymore - I've got no ICC profile for it; I
> > > suppose, they just built in a pretty good RGB->CMYK profile, therefore
> > > it printed RGB PDFs very well.
> >
> > Ah, interesting question. Presumably this is a ghostscript/cups
> > configuration issue.
>
> No, the printer does Postscript 3 natively (which is quite surprising
> for a 550? printer). I'll mail them and ask for the profile they use.
> (They have a custom Linux driver which installs a complete printing
> system, but fortunately comes with PPDs which work perfectly with CUPS,
> so I cannot print via PCL but Postscript works well)

Surprising, I would have thought, that if you sent it CMYK ps then that
is what it would print.

We have a Xerox colour laser at work, and get excellent colour, sending
CMYK postscript directly to it. Colours are unchanged from what is in
the file, but maybe that is unusual. We did go around and fed files to a
lot of printers before we picked this one, and many others did not fair
so well. Also many printer salesmen are clueless....

Maybe it's worth checking that the PS is not mangled some how between
the file and the printer.

cheers

dc

--
David Purton
dcpurton at chariot.net.au

For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to
strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.
                                 2 Chronicles 16:9a