[Scribus] CMYK -> RGB strikes again

Tino Schwarze scribus.lists
Wed Feb 23 09:53:41 CET 2005

Hi there,

On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 09:21:23AM +1030, David Purton wrote:

> > Actually, "make install" installed to /usr/local/scribus_cvs but I
> > forgot that.
> >
> > Now I was able to produce a nicely looking CMYK PDF. Only my printer
> > cannot print it nicely anymore - I've got no ICC profile for it; I
> > suppose, they just built in a pretty good RGB->CMYK profile, therefore
> > it printed RGB PDFs very well.
>
> Ah, interesting question. Presumably this is a ghostscript/cups
> configuration issue.

No, the printer does Postscript 3 natively (which is quite surprising
for a 550? printer). I'll mail them and ask for the profile they use.
(They have a custom Linux driver which installs a complete printing
system, but fortunately comes with PPDs which work perfectly with CUPS,
so I cannot print via PCL but Postscript works well)

> > I'll see what the print shop says...
>
> Let us know how it goes.

Oh well, they talked about Distiller settings etc when I asked about the
profile to use for export. Looking at the settings they sent me, I
figured that they use the U.S. Web coated SWOP or so profile (quite
uncommon in Europe AFAIK), so I created my PDFs again and am now waiting
for the results.

Bye, Tino.