[Scribus] [announce] CMYK Patch gets image support

Franz Schmid Franz.Schmid
Fri Feb 11 02:14:29 CET 2005

David Purton schrieb:
> Hi folks,
>
> I finally uploaded a first up attempt at getting CMYK images working.
>
> http://marshwiggle.net/scribus/
>
> There is a tarball containing test files and what I say is the "correct"
> output for comparison. I also have a nice highres duotone of a cow
> cartoon (C and K channels) if anybody is interested in seeing how it
> goes. This cow has appeared in a real live text book, so I even know
> what it looks like printed.
>

> I'd be especially interested to hear from people who have emailed
> recently with CMYK image questions, as to whether this patch gives then
> better results.
>

> So what does it do?
>
> I wasn't too sure, how to tackle this at first, but I noticed that at
> some points in the code, Scribus stores CMYK data in the RBGA channels
> of the QImage. There are many problems, associated with this technique,
> but it does work, providing you don't care about losing the alpha
> channel. You can still use the alpha channel if you only want to using
> RGB colours of course. I think so anyway...
>
> So I've written a new function that loads images. You request the type
> of image you want, based on what it is for (proof for screen or RGB
> export, CMYK for CMYK export, RGB for ICC based export) The new LoadPict
> function does the colour management magic and gives you a QImage in the
> desired format. Kludgy and hardly a final solution, but it does at least
> output colours that I am happy with.
>
> Only a fairly small subset of the seemingly infinite varieties of TIFF
> are handled - see the website for details. and TIFF is the only format
> that can be loaded as a CMYK image at this point. Greyscale and bilevel
> tiffs are also loaded as CMYK. I gave bilevel bitmaps a transparent
> background, because I like it that way :)
>

> Now for the weird bit. You will recall my comment last week about byte
> ordering differences in Little CMS and QImage. It took me a bit to
> figure out what was going on, but it would seem that this is the case.
> Here is some explanatory code:
>
> // say we have an 8bit RGBA pixel, we can represent it with an unsigned
> // int:
> unsigned int colour;
>
> // we can pull out the different channels using a pointer to char:
> char *p = (char *) colour;
>
> // now Little CMS expects this to be the case:
> char red_lcms = p[0];
> char green_lcms = p[1];
> char blue_lcms = p[2];
> char alpha_lcms = p[3];
>
> // seems obvious enough, but it would appear that the QImage class
> // doesn't use this ordering, instead doing this:
> char red_qimage = p[2];
> char green_qimage = p[1];
> char blue_qimage = p[0];
> char alpha_qimage = p[3];
>
> // So what would happen is that the colour passed to little CMS
> // was passed in with the wrong ordering, and of course little CMS would
> [...]
Hi,

i just applied your patch to the 1.3.0cvs sources,
works very well.

A big "Thank you" to you for this patch as you saved
me a lot of work. I just wanted to add CMYK-Tiff support
this weekend.

Best Regards,
Franz Schmid