[Scribus] [announce] CMYK Patch gets image support

Craig Ringer craig
Thu Feb 10 13:02:04 CET 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 21:45 +1030, David Purton wrote:

[snip]
> Strange, but true. Anyone want to offer some insight into this? LibTiff
> loads the tiff by default in the same order as needed by little CMS. Why
> would QImage be different? Is this an Endian Issue? Do others get this
> problem?

Partly due to the way CMYK TIFFs are handled, I've been using RGB
originals with Scribus to date. To be honest, I expect to continue doing
so with Scribus - I only use CMYK images with Quark as a workaround for
its lack of built-in colour management. I'd be much happier being able
to configure colour management in one place than having to worry about
both layout and graphics tools.

Nonetheless, it'll be very nice to be able to import CMYK TIFFs when I
need them.

[snip]

> The other thing, that is changed is out of Gamut Checking. From looking
> at the tifficc source and the little CMS documentation, I believe that
> when asking for out of gamut colours to be highlighted, you must set
> your LCMS flags to *both* cmsFLAGS_GAMUTCHECK and cmsFLAGS_SOFTPROOFING.
> Scribus was doing only one or the other, and so nearly every single
> colour is marked as out of gamut.

I've mentioned that one before, but nobody seemed to think it might be a
code issue - and as I don't use Scribus in production yet and don't
really need that feature I forgot to follow it up. I'm glad to see I
wasn't just going insane ;-)

> I also changed the gamut alarm colour
> to bright green, since it's hard to tell the difference between the out
> of gamut alarm colour and a grey that is in gamut.

Sounds good to me. That should probably be configurable - and I imagine
wouldn't be too hard to make configurable. [Adds to TODO].

This looks really cool.

--
Craig Ringer