[Scribus] CMYK Handling

David Purton dcpurton
Wed Feb 9 23:33:22 CET 2005

On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 11:50:39AM +0100, Samudra Reiher wrote:
> Hello,
>
> at first thanks to the developers for the wonderfull work you have done.
>
> I own a small company for design and print work and planning to produce
> a new magazine completely with Scribus under FreeBSD 5.3.
>
> The main problem I have is that my customers send their ads as CMYK-TIFF
> or CMYK-PDF. Place them in scribus works, but on the softproof in
> Acrobat and on a calibrated proof system with BestColor and Epson
> printer the colors of these imported ads looks horrible and colors
> failing. The export from scribus for these tests are done with EPS/PDF
> with and without color management, both dont work.
>
> Is there any trick to do for this job or is it not possible?
>
> If its not possible, may I can write a patch for this function?

Hang out for a little longer. I'll upload a patch that will let you do
this tonight.

The CMYK tiff anyway.

Scribus uses gs to rasterise pdfs to RGB when you include them. This is
non-trivial to change.

Your best option in this case will be to use the tiff32nc device present
in ghostscript 8.50 and rasterise the pdf yourself first to a CMYK tiff.

cheers

dc

--
David Purton
dcpurton at chariot.net.au

For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to
strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.
                                 2 Chronicles 16:9a