[Scribus] Fw: [Scribus 0000015]: Windows Port

Craig Ringer craig
Mon Feb 7 18:57:39 CET 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 17:50 +0100, Maciej Hanski wrote:
> Hi list,

> QT for Windows will be  under GPL for Open Source projects from now
> on. This could be of some interest for the Windows devs on the list:
> see the last note by  hskottowe in the following feature request.

[snip]

> Does this new announcement about QT4 for Windows being dual-licensed help
> with producing a Windows port that will work without requiring users to
> download other software (like a QT .dll)?
>
> http://www.trolltech.com/newsroom/announcements/00000192.html
> http://www.trolltech.com/developer/faqs/duallicense.html

I was hoping one of the dev team would address this, but I'll leap in.
While my understanding is that Scribus could be ported to windows with
this, it's not just a matter of recompiling because of the usual porting
stuff, juggling dependencies, etc.

Additionally, it's very important to realise this is for Qt4 and Qt4
only. Scribus is *nowhere* *near* being compatible with Qt4. My personal
understanding is that it's on the roadmap "somewhere after 1.4" but I'm
sure one of the friendly devs can answer that properly.

The changes between Qt3 and Qt4 are big and invasive. It's a non-trivial
port.

In other words, patience is probably going to be required unless you
feel like taking a lot of work upon yourself...

--
Craig Ringer