[Scribus] ISO page sizes

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Sat Feb 5 03:42:43 CET 2005

Gregory Pittman wrote:

> I would think that points came about as part of an effort to have a
> unit small enough to measure useful font sizes in whole numbers.

It's always good to be able to respond to your own emails with better
information.  See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typographic_unit -- some
tidbits follow.

Well, Louis Desjardins will be interested to learn that the whole
concept and execution of points in typography is quite French --
Fran?ois-Ambroise Didot came up with this in about 1783 as a
modification of an idea by Pierre Simon Fournier.  Didot's modification
based the measurement on the standard French Royal inch, or pouce
(Fournier was a little less precise).

The American Point System came about in 1886, but was based on the
original idea of Fournier -- 1/6 of an inch (American) is a pica, 1/12
of a pica is a point. Or at least conceptually.  Then, as now, Big
Business will have its say, and some influential type foundries had
their own ideas and therefore it was decided that 83 picas = 35 mm (how
do you like the math of that?).

Greg