[Scribus] Re: WikiWiki?

Craig Bradney cbradney
Wed Feb 2 10:22:45 CET 2005

On Wednesday 02 February 2005 10:12, Thomas R. Koll wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 05:15:23PM +0100, Maciej Hanski wrote:
> > Now, this is really a great piece of news! Will it be possible to have
> > it multilingual (at least bilingual :) from the beginning?
>
> You can already choose your language in the current MW versions.
> At Wikipedia of course too.
>
> > On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 18:09:56 +0100
> >
> > "Thomas R. Koll" <tomk32 at gmx.de> wrote:
> > > Yeah, a wiki would be nice, if you need someone to maintain it, I'm
> > > quite experienced with Mediawiki.
> > > About the license, the GNU FDL is quite crappy, at Wikipedia it's a
> > > source of long discussions and the CC licences are usefuller.
> > >
> > > ciao, tom
> >
> > Tom, could you explain in a few words, what makes GNU FDL so "crappy" in
> > comparison to Creative Commons?
> >
> > I  went through some Creative Common pages and what looks to me  at
> > first glance as the biggest advantage, is, that's so easy to understand
> > and to customize to ones needs. The  Creative Commons Attribution
> > License http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/ seems to be pretty
> > similar to GNU FDL -- I could imagine using it as a "default" licence
> > for all Scribus Wiki contents, and leaving it to every Scribus Wiki
> > author  to choose instead for their work the "Creative Commons
> > Attribution-NonCommercial License"
> > http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.0/, which prohibits the
> > commercial use without authors approval . Does it sound reasonable?
>
> by-sa would sound better to me.
> The problem of GFDL at Wikipedia is that it was meant for software
> documentation and stuff like a detailed history is not possible
> if you want to print wikipedia. Better find the basics of the license,
> free distribution, share alike and name the authors. you can have
> that with the CC too and even better, the CC is approved for European
> countries in an official translation (something why I really hate the FDL).
>
> A wiki for a software might be a border-line case but I'd prefer the CC.
>
> Anyone already working on fitting the MW layout to Scriubs? I'd love to
> do that job.

No.. MW is setup as you can see at wiki.scribus.net. If you want to develop a
new theme and layout for it, please go ahead and keep in touch with me. It
needs to be a fairly simple change when performing upgrades though. Please
note the MW 1.4 betas are rolling out and it might need fixing when 1.4 is
there.

Craig