[Scribus] Re: WikiWiki?

Thomas R. Koll tomk32
Wed Feb 2 10:12:26 CET 2005

On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 05:15:23PM +0100, Maciej Hanski wrote:
> Now, this is really a great piece of news! Will it be possible to have
> it multilingual (at least bilingual :) from the beginning?

You can already choose your language in the current MW versions.
At Wikipedia of course too.

> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 18:09:56 +0100
> "Thomas R. Koll" <tomk32 at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > Yeah, a wiki would be nice, if you need someone to maintain it, I'm
> > quite experienced with Mediawiki.
> > About the license, the GNU FDL is quite crappy, at Wikipedia it's a
> > source of long discussions and the CC licences are usefuller.
> >
> > ciao, tom
>
> Tom, could you explain in a few words, what makes GNU FDL so "crappy" in
> comparison to Creative Commons?
>
> I  went through some Creative Common pages and what looks to me  at
> first glance as the biggest advantage, is, that's so easy to understand
> and to customize to ones needs. The  Creative Commons Attribution
> License http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/ seems to be pretty
> similar to GNU FDL -- I could imagine using it as a "default" licence
> for all Scribus Wiki contents, and leaving it to every Scribus Wiki
> author  to choose instead for their work the "Creative Commons
> Attribution-NonCommercial License"
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.0/, which prohibits the
> commercial use without authors approval . Does it sound reasonable?

by-sa would sound better to me.
The problem of GFDL at Wikipedia is that it was meant for software
documentation and stuff like a detailed history is not possible
if you want to print wikipedia. Better find the basics of the license,
free distribution, share alike and name the authors. you can have
that with the CC too and even better, the CC is approved for European
countries in an official translation (something why I really hate the FDL).

A wiki for a software might be a border-line case but I'd prefer the CC.

Anyone already working on fitting the MW layout to Scriubs? I'd love to
do that job.

ciao, tom
--
== Weblinks ==