[Scribus] Missing preferences dialog in 1.2.3 (SuSE 10.0)

Mike Carra/Ruth Hendrick oznutz
Fri Dec 30 17:37:10 CET 2005

Hi -
We are transitioning from Win2K/InDesign to Linux/Scribus and have hit a
couple of problems, the most serious being a missing Settings->preferences
dialog - nothing happens when it's clicked, although the other selections
under Settings work.  Starting Scribus from a terminal window gives a
"Plug-in not found" message when Settings->preferences is clicked.  What
plug-in am I missing, and where do I look for it?

Background: We have two installations (both doing the same thing) - one is
a dual-boot Win2K/Suse 10.0 with 10.0 applied as an upgrade over 9.1, the
other a new machine being set us as a dual-boot Win2K/Suse 10.0 - Suse was
installed fresh from DVD.  The original Scribus install was 1.2.2.1 from
the Suse DVD, but was removed (via Yast) and Peter's pre-compiled rpm of
1.2.3 for Suse 10.0 installed via rpm.  This was done to fix a no-print, no
pdf output problem previously discussed in the mailing lists.  Help->about
gives Scribus 1.2.3, 12 September 2005, C-C-T.

BTW, I haven't been able to find a Scribus log file in /var/log or /usr/ -
am I missing the obvious?  I'm relatively new to Linux, so you might have
to be explicit.

Thanks,
Mike