[Scribus] Color management when running Scribus on Cygwin

PLinnell mrdocs
Sat Dec 17 00:11:11 CET 2005

On Friday 16 December 2005 22:46, kenquad (sent by Nabble.com) wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> Sorry to be bothering everyone with so many questions, but the
> forum said "newbies welcome"....  Is there any way to make Scribus
> 1.2.x use color management when running on Win2000 under Cygwin?
> My "Press-ready" pdfs come out atrociously muddy, the PDF/X-3 tab
> is grayed out, and color options are missing from the dialog.  I
> downloaded the LCMS component of Cygwin per instructions, but it
> didn't seem to make any difference. ???
>
> Thanks again.
> --
> Sent from the Scribus forum at Nabble.com:
> http://www.nabble.com/Color-management-when-running-Scribus-on-Cygw
>in-t758259.html#a1981442

Hi,

First, you should consider joining the mail list directly.

Second, you need good profiles installed and a decent monitor profile
to make color management  work. Explanations:
http://docs.scribus.net/index.php?lang=en&page=cms

Just installing littlecms and a few profiles is not a magic bullet
however. It requires some learning how to use CMS correctly.

Knowing from experience the I/O bottlenecks in some parts of
Cygwin(not Cygwin's fault), I would expect enabling CMS to really
slow Scribus down in parts.

The Win32 build is progressing - still not enough is finished to
release yet,  guaranteed it will be a more pleasant experience on
win32 :-)

Peter