[Scribus] RIP problem

PLinnell mrdocs
Tue Dec 6 16:57:29 CET 2005

On Tuesday 06 December 2005 14:59, David Eyre wrote:
> Dear All:
>
>  Big problem.
>  My community newspaper is due to start publication a week on
> Friday. I have sent previous Scribus-produced PDFs to my commercial
> printers before and he told me that they were to his specs and that
> they would print no problem. Last week I uploaded all 16 PDF pages
> and today was meant to go and look at the printed proofs. He's now
> telling me that - while they can open the PDFs without any
> difficulties - when the try to place them on their RIP the
> processor won't read them. He's trying to figure out what the
> problem is. Any of you guys any thoughts? Here are links to a
> colour PDF page:
>  http://www.southsidemedia.org/page1proof.pdf

This could have been corrupted on upload. I get a damaged error in
Acro 6.

>  and a mono PDF page:
>  http://www.southsidemedia.org/page2proof.pdf
>
>  When exporting the PDFs from Scribus I used the following options:
>
>  General:
>  Export range: All pages
>  Compatibility: PDF 1.3
>  Binding: Left margin
>  Tick boxes unchecked: Generate Thumbnails; Save linked text frames
> as PDF articles; include bookmarks; include layers. Resolution for
> EPS Graphics: 300 dpi

Good.
>  Tick box checked: Compress text and vector graphics
>  Compression method: JPG
(Why was this changed from the defaults ? ) - Auto is really best

>  Compression quality: High
(Why was this changed from the defaults ? ) - Should be 'maximum'

>  Tick box unchecked: Resample images to (all photos saved as JPGs
> at 150 dpi)
>

>  Fonts:
>  Tick box checked: Embed all fonts
Good.

One thing I noticed in the file was the use of double-byte CJK fonts,
which can trip up RIPS which cannot use them easily - not all can.

Was there any reason to use these in place of normal Latin fonts ?

Some of these fonts, I have not seen before and are a bit skeptical of
their print worthiness. The docs have extensive warnings and notes
about freeware fonts.

>  Colour:
>  Output intended for : Greyscale (for mono pages)
>  Output intended for: Printer (for colour pages)
>
>  (For colour pages)
>  Tick box checked: Convert spot colours to process colours

>  Tick box checked: Use Custom Rendering Settings
>  Black: Frequency 75: Angle 45: Spot function Round
>  Cyan: Frequency 75: Angle 15: Spot function Round
>  Magenta: Frequency 75: Angle 75: Spot function Round
>  Yellow: Frequency 75: Angle 0: Spot function Round

As advised by the tool tip, do not change these unless you have
specific instructions from your printer.

>  Thanks folks,
>
>  David

Hi,

More info needed too: