[Scribus] fun with chess diagrams

Craig Ringer craig
Tue Dec 6 12:53:42 CET 2005

On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 08:15:11PM -0500, jrm at kw.igs.net wrote:

> What bothers me is how easily diagrams get broken up when I make minor
> adjustments.  What I would *like* is to apply a "keep with next" property
> to every line (but the last) of a diagram.  This can be done in Open Office
> Writer, but the property is lost when importing into Scribus, at least
> with the 1.2.3 versions.  Has this changed, or is it likely to?

Scribus doesn't presently have any matching text styling property, so
there's nothing much the importer can do with it.

There have been many similar styling features discussed, though nothing
quite matching that. It's an approach I rather like and can see
immediate uses for (especially with things like headline styles) so
please file a bug on http://bugs.scribus.net/, severity "feature". It's
not likely that anything like that could be supported until the new text
layout engine goes in, but having it in bugs ensures it won't be
forgotten for then.

> Alternatively, perhaps I can somehow make each diagram into a graphic to be
> embedded into the text.  Probably I'm being very obtuse, but I don't even see
> how to embed a graphic.  How do I embed a graphic?

Scribus 1.3.x includes fairly experimental support for embedding
graphics and other objects in text. Currently this must be done by
copying a normal page object, then editing the text /in the canvas/ and
pasting the item in where you want it to go. As yet there is no way to
edit that item once placed, though you can ( and will need to ) use the
text positioning controls to get it where you want it.

This may well do the trick.

> Incidentally, my PDFs generated with Scribus produce (apparently harmless)
> error messages about "xobject not found" when using the ChessBase diagram
> fonts.  Has anyone else ever seen anything like this?  (My guess is that
> there is something a little odd with the font, which apparently was getting
> by PageMaker but is annoying Scribus.)

Perhaps so. That certainly needs investigation. If you could post a
sample PDF and the Scribus document it was created from on
bugs.scribus.net that'd be helpful.

--
Craig Ringer