[Scribus] scribus + bash

Oleksandr Moskalenko malex
Mon Dec 5 17:06:25 CET 2005

* Adrianna Pinska <adrianna.pinska at gmail.com> [2005-12-02 14:30:58 +0200]:

> On 12/2/05, Marcin Kuk <marcin.kuk at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I would like to execute scribus in text mode in BASH environment. I
> > don't want GUI. I would like to put the values from my database (ie:
> > by command line) and force scribus to put this value into earlier
> > prepared boxes in template which will automatically printed.
> > I need it to print pretty looking invoices.
>
> I don't know if there's an existing tool which does this, but it would
> be reasonably easy to make one - Scribus saves its files as XML, so
> you can make a Scribus document with placeholder text in various boxes
> (like text01, text02...), and then do a search-and-replace using the
> values from the database and save the results to individual files.
> One could make a python script that does this, or probably even a bash
> script (although that may get clumsy).
>
> It's an interesting project, so I may volunteer if nobody else has
> done it / is working on it. :)

The upcoming Scribus file format is being design with something like this in
mind. Every block of text can be replaced from an external source without
changing the layout. This should make it easier to do collaborative work on
Scribus documents or employ automated content replacement. If anyone wants to
look at the current work in progress and contribute ideas please head over to
IRC and talk to the team.

Cheers,

Alex