[Scribus] HELP!! Scribus 1.3 "can't write the PDF file"

Craig Bradney cbradney
Wed Aug 31 09:20:59 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 31 August 2005 07:14, Robert R. Di Giorgio wrote:
> >>Message: 1
> >>Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 01:06:26 -0700
> >>From: "Robert R. Di Giorgio" <bobdi at mindspring.com>
> >>Subject: [Scribus] HELP!! Scribus 1.3 "can't write the PDF file"
> >>
> >>I have September's issue done, 825.5 KB, all fonts embedded, preflight
> >>verifier says "No problems found", but when I click on Save in the PDF
> >>window, I get an immediate message from Scribus that it "cannot write
> >>the file".  The hourglass continues to turn, so I gave it time to see if
> >>it was writing the file anyway, but it didn't finish in an hour and I
> >>gave up.
> >>
> >>I checked to make sure there wasn't another file of the same name in the
> >>folder. I made sure all the fonts that are in the document were
> >>embedded, I have plenty of memory and hard drive space.
> >>
> >>How can I get this file to print to PDF? I'm up against a deadline.
> >>
> >>Thanks.
> >>

> >>------------------------------
> >>
> >>Message: 2
> >>Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 12:42:16 +0200
> >>From: Thomas Koll <tomk32 at gmx.de>
> >>Subject: Re: [Scribus] HELP!! Scribus 1.3 "can't write the PDF file"
> >>To: scribus at nashi.altmuehlnet.de
> >>

> >>How about the access rights to the directory? try a different one,
> >>preferably in your home directory.
> >>
> >>ciao, tom
> >>
> >>--
> >>http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benutzer:TomK32
> >>http://www.tomk32.de
> >
> >Good thought, but the target was in my home directory, and I also tried
> >saving the file as root.
> >Thanks anyway. Bob
> >I didn't mention: my OS is FC4.
>
> I'm still stuck on this same problem. If I can't Scribus to write the
> PDF file, I'll have no choice but to find a more reliable DP
> application, even if I have to go back to Windows stuff. I was really
> hoping Scribus and Linux would work for me.
>
> Can anyone help?

If you run File->Collect for output, and tick all checkboxes for inclusion on
the collect screen and provide a link to a tar.bz2 of the files, mail me
privately to mrb at scribus.info and I'll see if I can export it from here. If
it works here, which I'm 99.9% sure it will, then you certainly have a local
issue, or Scribus issue we have never seen before, possibly related to FC4.

Craig