[Scribus] Re: Flattening Layers / Selecting Across Layers

Asif Lodhi asif.lodhi
Thu Aug 25 22:37:46 CEST 2005

Hi Bill,

On 8/25/05, Bill Chiarchiaro <wjc at cleartech.com> wrote:
> I have a document with items in multiple layers.  I would like to
> conveniently duplicate all of these items.  Is there a way to flatten
> layers (similar to gimp) or is there a way to simultaneously select
> items that are in more than one layer?

I was wondering about the same convenience a couple of days back when
I was using layers in a document.

Another feature that I would very much like to have is a mechanism to
perform an operations, such as increasing/decreasing the kerning, on
all of the _selected_ frames at the same time.  Other examples would
be increasing the font size, changing fonts to a single font, changing
paragraph style to a common style, etc.

Now combine this feature with the one you are talking about?  I can't
think beyond that.  Perhaps, Scribus could have checkboxes in the
outline window for selecting individual items in individual layers
separately to fine-tune the selection at a more granular level across
multiple layers.  I can see that to accomplish that one would have to
be very careful with naming of different items, for example the
frames, boxes, etc.  Perhaps, coming up with standard naming
conventions for different items (e.g. frames, boxes, etc.) according
to the type of the work involved (newspapers, resumes, invitation
cards, etc) might prove to be useful.

I look forward to hearing from you and other list members.

--
Best regards

Asif Lodhi