[Scribus] Opacity and PDF / PostScript

PLinnell mrdocs
Wed Aug 24 19:22:10 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 24 August 2005 18:47, Bill Chiarchiaro wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a newcomer to Scribus and I'm having a problem with opacity.
> I've created a document which has two layers.  The lower layer
> contains a picture and the upper layer contains black text.  I've
> set the opacity of the picture's fill color (white) to 30%.  My
> goal is to have solid black text on top of subtle background image.
>
> This all looks fine in the Scribus document window, but when I
> export to PDF (and view with xpdf), or print to a PostScript file
> (and view with gv), or even use the Print Preview, the background
> image appears at 100% opacity.
>
> Is it possible to generate a PDF or PS file that shows the image
> the way it looks in the document window?
>
> Or, am I approaching this all wrong?  Should I instead use gimp to
> first produce a low-contrast version of the image and not bother
> with the opacity setting in Scribus?
>
> I'm using Scribus version 1.2.2.1 with Qt 3.3.4 on NetBSD 2.0.2.
>

> Thanks for any help,
>
> --Bill

Hi,

Understanding the limitations of PS3 and the viewers you named is the
issue.

xpdf 3.00 does not support transparency. The change log for 3.01
mentions beginning support.

gv is obsolete for anything to do with Scribus in my opinion. Better
more capable viewers are available. I recommend gsview.

Hints: http://docs.scribus.net/index.php?lang=en&page=pdfexport1

In this case, my guess is you will need to view and print from Acrobat
Reader 5.0.x+

Hope that helps,

Peter