[Scribus] Strange PostScript character placement

Phil Hughes fyl
Sat Aug 20 14:14:32 CEST 2005

I have been looking at the PostScript produced by a person doing
some tests with Scribus 1.3.0CVS. I see each individual character
being placed rather than the text being output as a string. For
example, here is " is?".
    gs
    276.364 -39.704 tr
    /space 0 0 0 0 0 1 shg
    gr
    /Fo0 12 se
    gs
    1 -54.104 tr
    /i 0 0 0 0 0 1 shg
    gr
    /Fo0 12 se
    gs
    4.492 -54.104 tr
    /s 0 0 0 0 0 1 shg
    gr
    /Fo0 12 se
    gs
    9.724 -54.104 tr
    /question 0 0 0 0 0 1 shg
    gr

I am using a PostScript font (/Fo0 /Utopia-Regular findfont
definefont pop) and, well, I am confused. Is this "a feature", am I
doing something obviously wrong or do I need to pull out my
remaining hair?

Thanks.
--

Phil Hughes, fyl at a42.com  Phone: 505-713-5675
Aptdo. Postal 0012, Esteli, Esteli, NICARAGUA