[Scribus] Python in /use/lib64

frank gaude' tanzen
Thu Aug 4 23:35:59 CEST 2005

Craig Ringer wrote:

>On Thu, 2005-08-04 at 11:35 -0700, frank gaude' wrote:
>

>>I posted on IRC my finding why Scribus doesn't compile on a 64-bit AMD
>>machine. It only looks for Python libs and modules in /usr/lib and not
>>in /usr/lib64.
>>

>It'll compile just fine without Python. If it detects Python but then
>fails to build, that's a serious bug. Not finding Python is no big deal,
>especially on AMD64 where almost every distro has different (and weird)
>places to hide libraries.
>
>Try using the --with-extra-libs=/usr/lib64 argument to configure and see
>if that helps. Alternately you can try --with-libsuffix=64 (this breaks
>the detection of Qt on some distros, but where it does not is the more
>correct solution for distros that use /usr/lib64).
>
>I need to test approaches to adding that automatically, but it's not
>entirely trivial due to various distro quirks. As usual. If only the LSB
>had jumped in on the ground floor for the AMD64 transition...

Well, Craig, Andreas and I tried just about everything we could think
of; ./configure shows everything as okay, but the compiler didn't like
two things. Working on what those two things are.

Used      export QTDIR=/usr/lib64/qt-3.3    ln -s lib lib64    from
QTDIR and    ./configure --enable-libsuffix=64

Other programs, like Inkscape work fine at 64-bit, along with
thunderbird, firefox, etc.

I'll try the --with-extra suggestion next... have to run now.

Thanks to all for hanging in here with me and AMD64, FC4. I'm just about
ready for dual-core, 939 socket, which I have on two boxes here. Linux
should handle the dual core okay, I'm sure. <smile>

Frank