[Scribus] Translation/language question: Standard English vs. American English

Carol Kankelborg cckborg1
Thu Aug 4 21:45:12 CEST 2005

Aakin N. Patel wrote:
> : The only thing worse than having to misspell colour and grey is to have
> : to remember that you have to spell them correctly in UI strings, and
> : misspell them when talking to C/C++ API. Don't even get me started on
> : API documentation.
> :
> : (Note: I'm just poking fun at the Americans here re misspelling. It's a
> : dialect; I can deal with that.)
>
> As a random side note:
>
> Growing up in America, learning to read and write here, and then
> spending 3 years in a british school in India was fairly maddening.
>
> I got into some serious arguments with the teachers.
>
> The only real long term effect is that I can never remember how to spell
> Grey/Gray. This only really comes into play when writing code for
> povray, because vim accepts both in it's syntax highlighting, but one
> will render, and the other causes an abort.

Hmm. Maybe that is why I can't remember which is correct: "grey" or "gray."
I didn't realize that was one of the British/American spelling differences.
I, too, grew up in America, but spent 2 years (7th-8th grade/SI-SII) in a Bermudian
British school. As a result, I can never remember which is the correct spelling
of "travelling" (traveling?) and I pronounce "either" and "neither" the British
way. I even
look the "wrong" way first when crossing the street. I didn't get into any
arguments with teachers, though :~) One thing I am eternally grateful for
is the British cursive "r." I never could write the American one to my satisfaction,
so when I saw the British one, I immediately adopted it and haven't looked back
since.

Back to the topic at hand, I don't see a problem with mixing dialects. Spelling
differences
are slight and words are readily recognized. Most terminology differences (e.g.
boot vs. trunk)
I can think of are not related to computers and DTP. So, if good communication
is our
goal, I don't think it is compromised by the mix. If we find communication is
compromised,
then we may need to rethink things.

Carol
--