[Scribus] Translation/language question: Standard English vs. American English

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Thu Aug 4 19:46:12 CEST 2005

Craig Ringer wrote:

>In fact, only one (Peter) is even from the US. He saw sense and moved to
>France :-P
>Both Craigs are from Australia, Paul is from the UK, and everyone else
>is from European countries with different native languages.

On the other hand, typically software is made to satisfy the users,
maybe even more than the developers.

>The only thing worse than having to misspell colour and grey is to have
>to remember that you have to spell them correctly in UI strings, and
>misspell them when talking to C/C++ API. Don't even get me started on
>API documentation.

Actually, I don't think Americans care much about spelling.  It might
just was well be 'culler': Q: "Wut culler is dat bannaner?" A:
"Yeller".  It's the Brits (and maybe the Canadians, too) that feel
passionate about 'grey', we spell it 'grey' or 'gray'.

Greg