[Scribus] Scribus1.3.0 -- paragraph styles in incoming text

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng
Wed Aug 3 03:48:28 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 23:55 +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 15:48 +0200, Christoph Sch?fer wrote:
>
> > I hate to disagree, but there's no wheel missing. You are simply
> > trying to hit a nail to the wall with a screwdriver. IOW, you are
> > using the wrong tool. For your purpose, LaTeX seems to be the ideal
> > solution. It has been used for more than twenty years in scientific
> > and technical writing and it is unlikely anything better will ever
> > show up, since it is almost free of bugs.
>
> Yeah. If however you're looking for a GUI tool somewhat like FrameMaker,
> Scribus and OO.o are as close as you're likely to come in the OSS/Free
> world - and neither are all that close. I think that was probably the
> point. There's a "wheel missing" if you're looking for a FrameMaker
> replacement/equivalent.

Well, there are some drawbacks to using LaTeX in that submitted text
will need to be re-formatted (quite a lot If not mistaken) and the fact
that the only LaTeX GUI I know of is LyX and though I find it very
useful for writing Tech Report/Journals etc, I don't think It's nearly
as good to be used entirely as a DTP.

I know Freesoftwaremagazine uses LaTeX but how they use it, is beyond
me. There are some things, like DTP, which really need a GUI and that is
where scribus fills the niche. - 2 cents

> I don't think that's a failing of Scribus - rather, it's a feature area
> that is desired by many but not present. As many of the features and
> fixes needed for that are also very useful and important for other uses,
> I can see some movement in that direction anyway. Beyond that, who
> knows.

I hate to say this but I do partially agree with Christoph, There is
half a wheel missing but as Craig mentioned, it's not that it's not
there, it's just not present.