[Scribus] Scribus1.3.0 -- paragraph styles in incoming text

Craig Ringer craig
Tue Aug 2 17:55:06 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 15:48 +0200, Christoph Sch?fer wrote:

> I hate to disagree, but there's no wheel missing. You are simply
> trying to hit a nail to the wall with a screwdriver. IOW, you are
> using the wrong tool. For your purpose, LaTeX seems to be the ideal
> solution. It has been used for more than twenty years in scientific
> and technical writing and it is unlikely anything better will ever
> show up, since it is almost free of bugs.

Yeah. If however you're looking for a GUI tool somewhat like FrameMaker,
Scribus and OO.o are as close as you're likely to come in the OSS/Free
world - and neither are all that close. I think that was probably the
point. There's a "wheel missing" if you're looking for a FrameMaker
replacement/equivalent.

I don't think that's a failing of Scribus - rather, it's a feature area
that is desired by many but not present. As many of the features and
fixes needed for that are also very useful and important for other uses,
I can see some movement in that direction anyway. Beyond that, who
knows.

--
Craig Ringer