[Scribus] Adding Fonts To Scribus

Craig Ringer craig
Tue Aug 2 18:03:41 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 17:25 +0200, Adrianna Pinska wrote:
> On 8/2/05, Redefined Horizons <redefined.horizons at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm currently running Debian Sarge and the GNOME 2.0.
> >
> > I'm having some trouble adding fonts to Scribus.
> >
> > In Scribus' Font Dialog I have added the paths to the folders on my
> > file system that contain fonts, but no additional fonts become
> > available.
> >
> > What type of fonts does Scribus support? Is there an additional step
> > or configuration that I am missing?
>
> You have to set up the additional fonts in X, as far as I know.

Nope... Scribus will happily use fonts that X doesn't know about. This
is true for 1.2.x and 1.3.x.

1.2.x will also search the X font path, and attempts to discover where
your font server gets its fonts from too. This is the font list you see
when you run xlsfonts. It doesn't know about fontconfig.

1.3.x will also query fontconfig for fonts. This is the font list you
see when you run fc-list. It may also query X for font paths.

Additional font paths are independent of all these, and handled entirely
by Scribus. Please see:

    http://docs.scribus.net/index.php?lang=en&page=fonts1

for some starter instructions on using that mechanism.

> have successfully added truetype fonts by following the instructions
> on this page:
>
> http://linux.org.mt/article/ttfonts

Those instructions are obsolete; they don't cover fontconfig, which is
what most modern apps use now.

> If you add a new font directory, and you want X to re-read the font
> paths from the config file, and you don't want to restart X, run 'xset
> fp rehash' (I think).

That's right.

> When I restarted xfs while X was running, bad
> things happened, so don't try that. :)

xfs *is* a bad thing. I can't wait to be rid of it forever.

--
Craig Ringer