[Scribus] Legality of Font Embedding

frank gaude' tanzen
Sat Apr 30 04:36:42 CEST 2005

Here's the way I see it regarding Acrobat: version 6 and 7 are very
strict when it comes to permitting the embedding of fonts based upon the
tags that are within the font files themselves. There are four tags that
tell Acrobat 6 or 7 how to handle the fonts: everything is allowed
(installable mode0, embedding of this font is not allowed, only printing
and previewing of the document is allowed (read only), and editing of
the document is allowed. These are the four tags that FontLab is capable
of placing onto a font.

When you try to export a file as a PDF an error message when come on
telling you what the situation is. Now, if the font that is not
embeddable is already on the machine then everything is okay, at least
on that machine. For all others the PDF will use a substitution font in
place of the one that it will not embed.

So, as long as Scribus uses an Acrobat 5 to do the embedding all seems
to be okay in turns of fonts, but the legality of it all depends on what
the font company has to say about it.