[Scribus] Re: Can't get colour management working

PLinnell mrdocs
Thu Apr 21 20:13:26 CEST 2005

On Thursday 21 April 2005 19:00, Steve deRosier wrote:
> PLinnell wrote:
> > On Thursday 21 April 2005 16:24, Asif Lodhi wrote:
>
> ...sniped...
>
> > You are more than likely missing cmyk profiles. Those listed are
> > a mixture of generic and special profiles included with littlecms
> >
> > There are links for CMYK profiles on the wiki, www.scribus.net
> > and on docs.scribus.net. We cannot ship them because of
> > licensing.
> >
> > These are the generic Adobe print profiles and installing them
> > correctly will enable color management.
>
> This seems a very common problem (I ran into it to when I started
> with Scribus).  I think the real problem is a usablity problem that
> stems from Scribus silently disabling the Color management menu
> item if you don't have at least one each of the RGB and CYMK
> profiles installed.  It makes it look like the color management is
> just disabled/broken without any input to the user of why.
>
> My sugestion, since we can't include the profiles due to license
> issues.  If cms is enabled (ie support is compiled in) don't
> disable the menu item.  If it can't find the profiles, when the
> user clicks on it give a message box (sample text, don't nit-pick
> please): ! "Can't find profiles.  To enable CMS support, please
> install icc profiles in /usr/local/scribus/profiles.  Please see
> the wiki for further instructions."
>
> Now the user knows:
> 1. CMS support is installed and should work.
> 2. Exactly what is wrong.
> 3. Where to look for more help if they need it.
>
> If CMS support isn't complied in, don't even show the menu item
> (maybe it does that...I always enable it).

We are a step ahead of you :-)  It is now fixed in 1.2.2cvs.

See : http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=1534

This also fixes the "Why is PDF/X-3 tab disabled?" question.

> Even better, we might want to construct our own profiles that we
> can ship (easier said then done?) and automatically install so that
> things just work.

The problem is finding a meaningful CMYK profile which we can ship.